So, these are to. die. for. Seriously. I have been wanting to share these for awhile, especially after becoming overwhelmingly addicted to their distant cousin found here. Yes, I am sure you have all seen those Pinterestingly delicious baked croissant goodness. But, being the
health conscious easily guilt ridden person that I am, I had to find a better, less self-hatred inducing alternative.
Introducing my chicken croissants.
I mean come on. Those could not look any better if I paid a professional photographer—ok they totally could. I do have a DSLR…I just choose to be an iPhone freak. #Lazy.
Anyways, onto the recipe.
I started with the base, because I knew I had to be healthier than the creamy, gooey deliciousness of the original recipe. So I went with chopped onions and green bell pepper—which I love by the way, and I added the chopped chicken to the pan as well.
I seasoned it with salt, pepper and red pepper—just for kicks.
This healthy base gave me the freedom to stick with the croissants that make the show worth watching, if ya know what I mean.
Now, I LOVE cheese. Like, the kind of love that makes you jump out of airplanes and swim with sharks. Ok, maybe that was a bit dramatic, but regardless, lets call it an affair.
One of my favorite types of cheese? Feta, despite my husband’s distaste. So, if you are like him and wish to swap the feta out I won’t judge, but trust me feta rules the roost on this one. After I added the cheese I drizzled each croissant with a bit of honey, killer idea. Best ever. Forrealzzzz, worth more than a little table talk.
Ingredients (serves 4, makes 8):
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1/2 sweet onion
- 1 package of croissants
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- drizzle of honey
- salt, pepper and red pepper to taste
- To begin, preheat the oven to 350 degrees (duh, this is totally my go-to).
- Chop the chicken, green pepper and onion into smallish (see picture) pieces, and cook until chicken is no longer pink on inside and peppers are soft.
- Open the croissants and unroll each.
- Place 1/8 of the chicken mixture onto of the unrolled croissant, add 1/8 of cheese and roll up. Repeat until all are filled.
- Drizzle tops with honey.
- Back until croissants are golden brown, approximately 10-15 minutes.
xoxo Ashley Kate